Indian army massacres 15, injures 100 in IOK

Monday – April 2, 2018
SRINAGAR (India): In Indian occupied Kashmir (IOK), the Indian troops in their fresh acts of State terrorism martyred 15 youngsters and injured as many as 100 in Shopian and Islamabad districts in a single day, on Sunday.

According to Kashmir media service (KMS), the youth were killed during cordon and search operations, launched by Indian forces at Dagdard and Kachdoora areas of the two districts in southern IOK.

The toll is likely to increase once the operation is over. Among the identified killed youth included Jan Mohammad Lone and Zubair Ahmad Butt. They were injured in troops’ firing on protesters and succumbed at a local hospital.

Thousands of people participated in the funeral of Rouf Bashir Khanday at his native Dehruna village in Islamabad district. Indian police confirmed that one of the martyred youth, Mushtaq Ahmad Thokar, was picked up by the Indian army last night.

The killings triggered forceful ‘anti-India’ protests in the two districts. Over “100 civilians” were injured when Indian forces used brute force and fired pellets and bullets on protesters.

The medical superintendent of district hospital Shopian, Shafat told media that they were unable to maintain the record of the injured because of the heavy rush. However, independent sources said that the number of injured youth could be more than 100.

At least 10 youth in the age group of 16 to 26, who received pellet injuries in their eyes, were among 35 admitted to the shri maharaja hari singh (SMHS) hospital in Srinagar. The authorities claimed that 8 among the killed were freedom fighters and two were civilians.

They said that two Indian soldiers were killed during the Shopian operation. However, the locals at both places said that all the youth were killed either in “fake encounters” or during ‘protests’.

The IOK authorities suspended train and internet services in south IOK districts.

Shutdown was observed and protests were held in many parts of Srinagar city. Clashes were reported between the protesters and the Indian troops.

Scores of students of Kashmir university (KU) staged a protest at varsity campus in Srinagar against the killings. The protesting students shouted ‘pro-freedom’ and ‘anti-India’ slogans. They carried banners reading, “End occupation, free Kashmir”.

Meanwhile, two-days shutdown across the occupied territory began on Sunday to mourn the killings. Call for the strike was given by the joint resistance leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik.

People defied restrictions and curfew and offered funerals in absentia for the martyred youth in every nook and corner of the occupied valley. The strike will continue till today.

The authorities have postponed the exams and interviews that were scheduled to be held, today. Orders have been issued for the closure of all schools and colleges.