China rejects India’s claim of casualties

By Monitoring Desk
Wednesday – June 24, 2020
BEIJING (China): China’s foreign office (FO) spokesman Zhao Lijian rejected, Tuesday, the Indian media reports that cite Indian officials as saying at least 40 Chinese soldiers were killed, during the recent Sino-India face-off at the line of actual control (LAC), flaying, “I can tell you responsibly that this is false information.”

According to an official statement, he continued, “On June 22, Chinese and Indian border troops held a second round of commander-level talks in the border area.”

Chinese FO spokesman Lijian mentioned, “This is also the first such meeting after the Galwan Valley incident on June 15.”

He elaborated, “The holding of the talks shows that both sides hope to properly handle differences and manage and ease the situation through dialogue and consultation.”

Chinese FO spokesman Lijian revealed, “During the talks, the two sides, on the basis of the first commander-level talks, had an in-depth and candid exchange of views on outstanding issues in border management and control and agreed to take necessary measures to lower the temperature.”

He said, “Both agreed to keep up dialogue and work together for peace and tranquility on the ground along the border.”

Chinese FO spokesman Lijian added, “The relevant measures are coordinated and arranged by the border troops of the two countries on the ground.”

He culminated, “China and India are resolving the issue on the ground through military and diplomatic channels.”

Separately, in Moscow, according to an official statement, the Russian foreign minister (FM) Sergey Lavrov in his opening remarks, Tuesday, during a videoconference of the Russian, Indian and Chinese foreign ministers grieved, “The global community must unite, but, unfortunately, despite all the objective factors, attempts continue to promote selfish interests, settle the score with geopolitical rivals and topple undesirable regimes, including by using illegitimate unilateral coercive measures.”

He continued, “The striving of several Western states to move away from a system that is based on the universal acceptance of international law and attempts to replace international law with some ‘rule-based order,’ where these rules are defined by the immediate situation, raise serious concerns.”

Russian FM Lavrov culminated, “This line makes the global stage more unpredictable and increases mistrust” highlighting “We cannot but feel concerned about it.”

Earlier on June 18, Chinese FO spokesman Lijian said, “China has repeated multiple times that the whole thing happened because India’s front-line troops, in violation of the agreement reached at the commander-level meeting, once again crossed the LAC for deliberate provocation, and even violently attacked the Chinese officers and soldiers who went to the terrain for negotiation, thus triggering fierce physical conflicts and causing casualties.”

Separately, according to Kashmir Media Service (KMS) on June 17, at least 20 Indian troops got killed while 34 more went missing in the violent face-off, between Indian army troops and Chinese army personnel, in disputed Galwan Valley in Ladakh, along the LAC, on Monday, June 15, night.

The KMS report continued that several dead bodies of Indian troops including a colonel were retrieved and that the Indian colonel, Santosh Babu, the commanding officer of 16 Bihar regiment, was killed by drowning. The Chinese soldiers held him under the water till he died.


Ads